Saturday, September 10, 2016

Growth Mindset Challenge: Week 3


In this article, author Paul Sohn spoke about the secret phrase that can be used to increase a person's productivity. When coaching, teaching or leading a group in general, it is important to understand the effect feedback has on your team. Using the wrong tone and deter a person from wanting to improve their abilities. Sohn quotes Daniel Coyle about the general phrase we all use for good feedback. Coyle suggests telling the learner to do a certain thing rather than not do another thing. Basically, he insists on using more positively driven words. However, Sohn takes it one step further and claims there is one phrase that will guarantee effective feedback.

"I'm giving you these comments because I have very high expectation and I know that you can reach them."

Sohn found that this sentence alone can increase productivity by at least 40%. This one sentence tells the learner that he or she is part of a special group where higher standards are held. It also signals that the teacher believes them to be worthy of being a part of that group. Saying this simple phrase to another (or to yourself) will have drastic improvements.


Article: The Simple Phrase That Increases Effort 40%

3 comments:

  1. *extra comments!*

    I don't remember ever reading about that phrase, so I'm glad I'm doing that now! At first I thought that could really add some additional pressure... being told someone has "high expectations" is a little bit nerve wracking! But to be followed up with "I know you can reach them" is SO empowering! I think I might try and use this phrase in my directing... I think it just might work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, first off I really like how you figured out how to add the complete chart onto your blog post and use arrows! I didn't even think about doing that. I'm so happy to hear that you've realized how much you love stories through Epics of India. I love it when you don't know what a class will be like and end up pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I think that it is a great way to show people that sometimes it is good to take a leap of faith. It allows people to realize that they can easily be able to enjoy something that they didn't expect. I'm glad that you were so pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete