Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Story: Ekalavya's Tale

I was almost there! Years of training and dedication had gotten me this close to the temple. I could see the palace where the great guru, Drona, resided. It was late in the evening when I reached the top of the mountain, so I decided to make camp in a nearby cave and go see the great guru early in the morning. Arriving early would show my dedication to the art, right? He would surely accept me as soon as he saw how eager I was to be his pupil.

I sat by the fire and looked on to the temple. The stories of the great Drona reached my home in the depths of the forest. Drona was known to be the most skilled warrior, archer, and thinker ever. My father had told me awe-inspiring stories of Drona fighting battles and conquering beasts three times his size. As I thought of Drona’s conquests, my arm started throbbing again. I looked down to see the blood had seeped through the bandage. With my stronger hand, I quickly unwrapped it and placed the tip of one of my arrows into the fire. After the stone started to burn red, I gently placed the arrowhead onto my cut. I fought back the urge to remove the searing stone from my arm, knowing that if this tiger bite became infected, it would be the end of me. I tore another piece of cloth and bandaged my arm once again. I took one last look at the palace and laid down to rest.

The sunlight shone through the cave opening, waking me. I rose and went to the stream to wash my face and tried to look presentable. My future rested on today. I packed up the rest of my pack and headed to the great palace. The palace that held my future.

I finally reached the steps leading to the guru. Since he had come here to be alone, he only required a few helpers, so the temple was nearly empty. I walked into a great auditorium expecting the guru to be there, but to my disappointment, he was nowhere to be seen. As I turned to leave, I saw someone sitting outside on the balcony. This had to be the guru! Overjoyed, I rushed to greet him. When I reached the doorway, I saw it was the great Drona, but he was in deep meditation. I quietly set my pack down and walked over to sit across from him and waited. I closed my eyes to honor his meditation.

I don’t know how much time passed but I opened my eyes when I heard him stir. He quietly looked at me and I bowed to the ground.

“Guru, my name is Ekalavya. I have traveled away from my home, trekked dangerous terrain, and fought off beasts of the jungle to come ask you a simple question,” I said. Since my face was to the ground, I couldn’t tell how the guru had reacted to my statement, but he remained silent.

“I wish to be trained by you. I am a skilled archer and I believe with your training, I can be the best,” I said with my heart pounding in my chest. I had practiced these words continually over the past few years. I had trained just so I would be good enough to be eligible, and here I was. I was finally about to get my dream.

“No,” he said. I did not expect the guru to be so straightforward with his answer. I lifted my head to look up at him, wondering what I had done wrong.

“Child, I have devoted myself to the warrior class. Therefore, I can only train you if you are a Kshatriya, and from your silence, I assume you do not meet these qualifications,” Drona said in a very direct tone. He did not wait to see if I had a response and walked away into the auditorium I came from. As he left me on the floor of his balcony, I sat staring at the floor. Thoughts raced around in my head. How could this have happened? I had trained all my life and I thought I was more than qualified. Did my caste really matter that much? How could he judge me in an instant? He had no idea of my skill with the bow, or the potential that I knew I had.

I knew  I could  be the best archer there ever was. Once I realized this, the thoughts stopped filling my head and I could see clearly. If  Drona wasn’t going to train me, I will just have to do it on my own. I stood up, grabbed my pack, and walked straight out of the palace, not looking back. Drona and I will cross paths in the future, and when we do, I will show him what he missed. I will become the greatest archer without his help.





Author’s Note: The final scene of the story I read this week ended with the story of Ekalavya. He met the Pandava brothers as they were traveling through the forest. The brothers were amazed at his incredible archery skills. However, Arjuna was frustrated because this stranger challenged his archery skills. Arjuna asked who Ekalavya's guru was, and he said it was Drona. Furious that Drona would betray him, Arjuna took Ekalavya back to their camp to ask Drona about the whole thing. Drona said he had no knowledge of this pupil. Ekalavya explained how he had once come to Drona to become a pupil, but Drona rejected him because of his social standing. Ekalavya decided to teach himself, and he used a cut out of Drona as encouragement. The story ends on a sad note because Drona asks Ekalavya to cut off his right thumb. Drona did this because he knew that without his thumb, Ekalavya could not be the greatest archer. This would allow Arjuna to take that title.

For the above story, I expanded on the meeting between the guru and the eager student from Ekalavya's point of view. I was surprised when I heard Ekalavya's story. We often read a story and think the protagonists wouldn't do anything wrong. This story shows that even though the great Drona was Arjuna's hero, he was Ekalavya's obstacle.


10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this story! I think you did a wonderful job of capturing Ekalavya's bravery and determination. One of my favorite moments was, "After the stone started to burn red, I gently placed the arrowhead onto my cut. I fought back the urge to remove the searing stone from my arm, knowing that if this tiger bite became infected, it would be the end of me. I tore another piece of cloth and bandaged my arm once again. I took one last look at the palace and laid down to rest."
    Really imaging those circumstances is so painful! I honestly couldn't... I would just have to let that tiger bite be the end of me, oh well.

    I also really enjoyed the "twist" in the end, where the Guru won't teach him. I thought that Ekalavya's reaction was very realistic and relatable as well. I'm glad that he's set to do this on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that work for nothing. I really like how detailed you were with how Ekalavya tried so hard to get trained by the guru. He went through so much pain for the result of no help. I felt very sorry for him. The strength though does show in him, and I am glad in the end he believed in himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your telling of Ekalavya's story. In my opinion, he's one of the more tragic characters in the Mahabharata because he's so eager for knowledge and puts in a tremendous amount of hard work, but he's denied despite his talent because of his caste.
    Even though his ending isn't a happy one, I'm glad that you were able to give us some insight into his struggles and his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this story! I liked how you were able to give a side of Ekalavya's story that we were unable to see as clearly before. At the end of the story, I really liked the twist along with Cassandra. I love reading about the story twists or surprises that are incorporated in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Ekalavya's tale feels so powerful to me. The disappointment borders on injustice, and the fact that Ekalavya does so little to deserve his lot makes it border on tragic. The little part where Ekalavya presses a burning arrowhead to his tiger wound builds both admiration and sympathy, and your attention to his life's hopes, going back to his childhood, sets up the story's end well. After Ekalavya is denied by Drona, though, I feel like things get a little rushed.The last paragraph goes from Ekalavya's disbelief, to his reflections on the role of his caste, to his desire to prove himself before Drona, to his decision to become the greatest archer without Drona, to his anticipation of crossing paths with Drona some day in the far future. I think you could definitely turn the last paragraph into two, using the first to focus on Ekalavya's immediate reaction and, perhaps after having him grab his pack and leave the temple, letting him build up his new determination in the second paragraph.
    Great story, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this story. You made it apparent just how ambitious the main character Ekalavya is. I was almost expecting him to argue or fight with the guru who refused to train him. I'm sure he was seething with rage when he heard that "no."
    This story makes Ekalavya one of the more interesting characters. Here, we get to read his inner-most thoughts and how nearly all of his hopes are crushed by the refusal of the guru.
    I only have one minor suggestion. In order to make this story stand by itself more, I would suggest describing how Ekalavya encountered the tiger. A brief summary of the fight would do.
    The ending was great, in that it lets the reader know that Ekalavya will encounter eventually encounter Drona. It's also kind of ominous, since it sounds as though Ekalavya will someday meet Drona on the field of battle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You continue to elaborate on my favorite stories! I read your story about the water nymphs and decided to come back for more, and am pleased that I did. The story of Ekalavya is so intriguing for the exact reasons that you go over in your author's note. It is crucial that we remember these men are still humans and capable of committing sins.

    Your story is very captivating and written well. There are only a couple of suggestions I could make. In the third paragraph, the word "future" sounds repetitive. Perhaps the second time you could change to prospects or even elaborate the idea further.

    Also, why did you give the tiger cut so much emphasis? I enjoyed this part of the story, but I am wondering where you got it from. This could be something to add to your author's note as well. If you added this paragraph to demonstrate the suffering Ekalavya went through on his journey, then I might add one more sentence near the beginning to emphasize that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that you chose to write about Eklavya. I find him quite intriguing. Your story is incredibly easy to read and follow. It also captures your attention and allows for you to be swept away in the flow of things. I think you did a great job! I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I really liked this tell that you wrote for us. I think you did a brilliant job on expressing all the emotion and drama in this story. I really like the way you were able to express how much Ekalavya worked and how committed he was to have Drona as his guru. One of my favorite parts in how you showed that even though he got attacked by a tiger he was more concerned that it wouldn’t get infected other than the fact that he actually got attacked by a tiger. You were also able to give Drona a very good personality that I think fits your story perfectly! We know Drona as a hero that would really turn away from someone like Ekalavya but by just having him give him a straight forward no I thought was perfect. Overall I thought it was very well written and expressed very well! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This. Story. Was. Awesome!!! I was completely trapped by your writing and your story the entire time. Not once did I lose interest. The details of the tiger bite were presented in a way that left you questioning what was going on but then you managed to so casually tie back to it when your main character spoke with Drona. You kept me guessing the whole time and while I figured Drona wouldn't help him, I still wasn't entirely sure until the very end! I didn't see anything that needed to be fixed. I love the determination the main character had when he knew he was going to have to train himself. I just loved it all! Excellent job!! You did a wonderful job retelling your original story and completely making it into your own. I will definitely go and read more of your stories so that I can enjoy those too!

    ReplyDelete