Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Story: The Dangerous Flower

The court was divided with some favoring the Kurus and others on the side of the Pandava brothers. Duryodhana sat on his throne laughing at the Pandavas' humiliation. Finally, he was able to get his revenge. The crowd turned their attention to Draupadi, who had just been dragged in. So many in the court started spouting insults and some went as far as spitting on her.

“Enough,” Duryodhana’s voice boomed in the giant courtroom. “Yudhishthira sold this woman, so now she is mine. I want her taken to my chambers,” Duryodhana turned to address Draupadi directly. “You will wait for me there. I expect you to be cleaned up and presentable by the time I arrive.”

Draupadi looked up to her husbands for help. However, none of them could muster the courage to meet her gaze. Tears started streaming down Draupadi's face and she dropped her head in sorrow as the guards led her to Duryodhana’s room. When she arrived at the dimly lit room, all she could make out was a giant wooden desk that stood in front of the library that lined the wall. She turned her head and saw the monstrous bed that took up most of the room. As soon as she saw it, fear gripped her heart. The guards left and she ran to look out the window, hoping she could escape, but the only thing on the other side was a great cliff. Draupadi fell to the ground and sobbed. She repeatedly called out to Krishna for help. When she uncovered her eyes, she saw something in the corner of the grand table that looked like a plant she had once heard about. She knew the properties its leaves held and suddenly Draupadi jumped up with a plan ready.




Draupadi went to the door and asked the guard to fetch her some water. A servant returned with a pitcher of water and two gold cups. Draupadi rolled her eyes at the cups thinking they were too over the top, but still thanked the servant and closed the door. She quickly ran to the table and looked at the plant. She had forgotten what it was called, but she remembered encountering one in her garden when she was a little princess in her father’s kingdom. She loved how the flower looked and smelled and remembered her father telling her to be like this flower. This plant looked harmless but if anyone were to ingest its roots, they would immediately die. Her father told her to look harmless on the outside but be a deadly weapon at the core.

Draupadi grabbed it by the stem and uprooted it. She tore off a small section of the root and crushed it with one of the books on the shelf. After it turned into a powder, she gently scooped up the dust and poured it into the pitcher. As she was mixing the contents, the noise that was coming from the courtroom ceased. Draupadi knew it was time and her heart pounded, fearing that this plan would fail. She had just placed the pitcher back on the tray when the chamber door flew open.

Duryodhana drunkenly stumbled in, reeking of alcohol. Draupadi hated the sight of his smirk that he gave her. “Finally! You’re mine,” he slurred.

“Finally! I was getting anxious waiting for you!” Draupadi replied, faking enthusiasm to dispel any suspicion. “Ever since I’ve laid eyes on you, I have only ever desired for this moment.”
“And what would that be, dear?” Duryodhana said with a burp at the end. Duryodhana had found his way to the chair behind his desk and gestured for Draupadi to come share his seat. Draupadi smiled at him and started pouring some water into a glass.

“I have always wanted to be yours. I hate the sight of those awful Pandavas. They are greedy and malicious. They are morons compared to you,” she replied as she walked around the table to him. She went and sat on his lap handing him the drink. Duryodhana took it without thinking and said, “You’ve wanted me?”

“Oh yes, of course! Just look at you! You are so strong and the most handsome man I have ever known,” she said as her hands held his face. “Those Pandavas should be bowing to you. Everyone can see you’re the mighty one.”

Duryodhana chuckled, pressed the glass up to his mouth and drank the cup dry. Draupadi held Duryodhana’s hand and led him away from the table. Halfway to the bed, Duryodhana let go of her hand and fell to the ground.


“What have you done to me?” he choked out. Draupadi just stood in silence as she watched the life go out of him. It was done. Her husbands and she could go live their lives without fear of this monster anymore.




Author's Note: In the original story, Draupadi is forced into Duryodhana's court after Yudhishthira gambled everything away in a dice game. When she is thrown into the court, she is called names and laughed at. Then, one of the men in Duryodhana's court, Dushasana, claims that she should be put to shame and disrobed. Since her husbands cannot help her, she cries out to Krishna for help. Krishna heard her and extended her cloth so that every time Dushasana tried to remove a layer, he would find another underneath. This continued on until here was a large enough pile to make one hundred saris. With the help of a sage, Draupadi was able to win back all that Yudhishthira lost in the bet. The brothers and Draupadi return to their kingdom to plan their revenge.
Later, the brothers get invited back for another game and to no surprise, they lose again. This forced them into exile. I personally thought it was stupid that the brothers went back so I thought it would be better to end Duryodhana's life earlier. In the video, it kept talking about how powerless the Pandava brothers were so I was wondering what would happen if Draupadi won the battle for them.

Bibliography: Epified: Mahabharata Episode 45 - Draupadi Disrobed

11 comments:

  1. This was one of the most frightening parts of the Mahabharata, in my opinion. I still can't believe that Yudhishthira would gamble away his entire kingdom, and I like that here you have Draupadi taking agency, even if that involved being driven to commit a murder. In the Devdutt Pattnaik book, he includes a scene where she asks whether or not she must go to the Kauravas because if Yudhishthira gambled himself before her and lost, then technically he isn't hers to gamble. Even though that's what he did, the Kurus ignore it.
    Anyway, this was a great story, and if you consider adding it to your portfolio later, you may want to mess with that idea of Draupadi standing up for herself even before she's taken by Duryodhana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this story! I like the idea of Draupadi being the one to save the day, especially since she starts to be a little trying during the stories. The twist that you used of having the Pandavas powerless but having Draupadi be the weapon that ends the fighting was a great idea! Looking forward to more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love your version of the story. I like how you focused on one scene and wrote it very well. How did you decide that she should poison him? At first I thought she was going to poison herself for some reason. I would like to think that if this had actually happened that the kingdom would persecute Draupadi for killing Duryodhana, but then again not many really liked him in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I really like this version! I always felt that Draupadi didn't have much initiative or ability to affect the stories, so I really appreciate how in this version she stands up for herself! Good for her! I wonder how Draupadi's husbands will feel about her actions! I wonder if they would be surprised about this side of her. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the title, love the pictures, LOVE the story! I was instantly draw into the story from the title and, even though I don't usually like the look of pictures in the middle of the story because I feel like it breaks me out of the story, I liked your use of it for some reason. I think my favorite part was the paragraph where her father teller her to be like the flower, innocent looking on the outside, but a deadly weapon on the inside. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was awesome! I loved your version. It was so suspenseful and kept me intrigued the entire time! You portrayed Draupadi as such a strong woman and I loved that. I also loved that you let her win back everything instead of the Pandavas. They really do come off as quite the idiots by gambling their lives away. This story was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything about this story was wonderful! I loved that you had Draupadi take charge and get rid of "the monster." I am all for strong women and your story gave me exactly that! I agree with you in the author's note as well. The Pandavas do come off as some buffoons not realizing that it was a bad idea for them to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this version of the story. You changed it and gave draupadi the power. She chose what kind of life she wanted and she actually decided what she wanted to do. She chose to save her life for once instead of waiting on a man to come and do it. In every story we have read a guy has to come and save the girl like a damsel in distress but in this version she saves herself and her husbands and proves that she does not need anyone to do everything for her. You made her independent I really enjoyed reading this. Throughout your story I was hooked and wanting to know what happens next. You did a really good job with keeping your readers till the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Shifa! I enjoyed reading this story and having the twist at the end. I remember reading this story in class and thinking why in the hek would Yudhishthira gamble his kingdom off in the first place but that is beyond me. Your story had a lot of the same drama that this original story had which I loved. I also really like how you made the change that she was the one that was able to kill Duryodhana. I feel you were really able to give power back to the person that had no power what so ever in dealing with her own fate. That in its self was a huge part of the story for me because I feel for the majority of this class and the time period we are reading from women a lot of the time don’t have all that much power when dealing with the situations they are placed in. Overall, I really liked your story! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shifa! I really liked your story! It was a nice fresh breath of air from the upsetting original. I found it to be wonderful. I liked that it felt more intense with everything that was happening. You could find yourself in Draupadi's shoes and imagine yourself desperate to find a way to save yourself. I like that you allowed for her to stand up for herself and save herself. It shows what a strong and fearless woman she had been. I admire that she was not afraid to be able to take someone's life for the sake of her family. It doesn't make her out to be weak. I specifically enjoyed the part where she chose to lead Duryodhana on. It showed her as powerful. I think that you did an amazing job, and I cannot wait to be able to read more of yours stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Shifa! I do not find many people in this class who add pictures into their portfolio so I am very glad that you did. I think it makes the stories seem more interesting before even reading them. Now for the actual story, which I very much did enjoy. I really like reading the types of stories that take an event out of the original and expands on it. I too became very mad when Yudhishthira ended up gambling everything away. He had no right to gamble away a person. This story also highlights the issue with gambling. It shows the audience how no matter how much control a person believes they have, they don’t when it comes to gambling. It was so cool the way in which Draupadi saved herself. That part definitely took me by surprise. I did not find any grammar mistakes while I was reading your story. I think you did a really great job! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete