Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Story: Draupadi's Escape

Vaisakha 19th
Sunrise
Two days from now is the end of my peaceful life. I have been dreading my Swayamvar for the past few months because I do not understand why I’m not allowed to choose who I spend the rest of my life with. This old world thinking does not sit well with me, and I don’t know what to do. I love him. He is everything I have ever wanted in a husband. Ever since the first day, he’s cared for me unlike anyone has ever done before. I love being able to talk to him, and I feel as if I could talk to him for the rest of my life. He’s different than all the suitors that come to buy my love. Everyone just comments on my looks, and they tell me how pretty I am. It’s as if beauty is all I can offer if I become a wife. What about my thoughts and opinions? I’m a princess! I could run a country on my own, if I wanted to.  That’s why he is so great. He listens to what I say, and he engages me in stimulating conversations. Whenever I need a break from faking my interest in the latest sari designs or sweetest perfumes, I go find him. He’s one of the palace guards, so he never stays in one spot. I don’t mind seeking him out, though. His company is always worth the effort and he is who I want to marry.

Vaisakha 20th
Sunrise
I sought him out yesterday. As we walked through the gardens, he said something I never expected. He told me he was in love with me. What do I do? This is the best news because I return his feelings and love him deeply, but I can only marry the one that wins my father’s challenge tomorrow. I have seen the loveless marriages royals are forced into, and I know that is not what I want in my life. I have to think of a way to make him my husband.
Sunset
The day passed so quickly. I wasn’t aware of anything I did today. I remember having my hair conditioned and brushed. I remember blankly staring on as my maidens dressed me in tomorrow’s dress to check if final alterations were needed. I couldn’t stop thinking about him. He loved me. He did not say these words like the other suitors had. He said them with passion, filled with love for me. Life with him would be incredible. He would be loving and romantic, and he would care for all my needs. Even if we were living in a small hut by the river, I know in my heart I would be happy.

Vaisakha 21st
Before dawn
This will me my last entry in this book. I leave the kingdom tonight. I have decided that I would rather have a life full of love than an unhappy marriage. We’re going to do it. My love and I are escaping tonight. Escaping seems like the perfect word for this journey. I’m leaving behind this life where I am only respected because of my status, not for my thoughts or ideas. I am finally going to be free! I leave this book behind for anyone to find. May you be encouraged to follow your own desires, and never settle for the life others choose for you.




Author's Note: The original story speaks about how King Drupada had a beautiful daughter named Draupadi. When she was old enough to be wed, the king asked every prince in the nearby kingdoms to come and fight for his daughter. The king had a challenge and whoever could complete the task would get Draupadi. Everyone had heard about Draupadi's great beauty, so they all came to win her hand. Many tried to finish the tasks, but none of them could even lift the special bow. In the end, Arjun was the victor. He was able to string a special bow and hit the desired target. As his prize, he was able to take Draupadi home. 
This story always stuck out to me because this idea of the guy winning the princess seems to come up in many cultures. At first, I wanted to write about the love between Draupadi and Arjun, but then I wondered what would happen if she didn't love him. I took it one step further and completely removed her from the scene to where she runs away before the challenge could even take place. Having read more about her life with the Pandava brothers, I got the feeling she was more than just the pretty face everyone saw. I wanted to show off her heroic side.

6 comments:

  1. I like that in your story Draupadi takes her happiness into her own hands. In contrast to Sita, who seemed strong in her own way but still very subdued, Draupadi comes off as much more feisty in the original text. I think that this captures her rebellious side while still letting her maintain the image of a soft and romantic young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your structure! The sunset/sunrise was a really appropriate way of addressing time. The journal entry setting was very intimate and like peering straight into Draupadi's life. I thought it was interesting how she realized that she could give up her royalty and comfortable lifestyle for love. I was really touched by the line, "Escaping is the perfect word for this journey. I’m leaving behind this life where I am only respected because of my status, not for my thoughts or ideas. I am finally going to be free!" It think it was cool that you left sort of an open ended ending. We assume that she'll make it out, but we don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you give Draupadi her own choices here! We kind of just assume she likes her life as the Pandavas' wife but no one really knows and no one really asks either. It's cool to think that she might want something else and I like that you give her the initiative to just go for it! I also like that you made her value the palace guard's love for her over status and wealth. I hope she's happy in the life she chose for herself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you did journal entries! This is a great insight to the characters mind. I had never thought that Draupadi might be in love with one of the palace guards until I read your story! I also have a story about Draupadi written as a letter to her husbands. I have a feeling that your Draupadi in this story and the Draupadi that writes the letter in my story would be great friends! I love that she follows her heart in your story and escapes with the one that she loves. I would like to know what happened to the five husbands if there was no Draupadi? This would make for an interesting epic, "Life without Drapaudi".

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s interesting you went with Draupadi, because the samething could have been used for Sita too. Although, Sita was in love with Rama already. Both of them even went to the suitor who fire a specific bow. Arjun probably would have hated Rama huh?
    I liked the format you used. It was a good way to get inside the Draupadi’s head. I wasn’t sure where you were going to go with the story either. I thought you might end it on a sad note. Possibly, with her getting married off and having to give up on her true love. I’m glad you didn’t though! It’s nice to see happy endings sometimes!
    I also liked that Draupadi was her own character. I realize it’s a difference in time and culture, but it often feels like the women in the stories should get to do more. Your story let her take the reigns, literally, and make her own life choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a story, Shifa! I know it is the culture or was the culture in most countries or religions that women do not get to choose their husband but it has always bothered me. I'm glad you decided to write a story where Draupadi has enough courage to leave home and choose her own fate!
    I also really like the diary entry style of writing.

    ReplyDelete