Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Story: The Hermit's Destiny

I opened my eyes to a beautiful day. My little hut might not be impressive to many, but it is my home, and I will never regret the decisions I’ve made that brought me here. Something felt different about today, but I didn’t think anything of it and got up from my cot to grab clothes that were drying outside. The sun didn’t shine as bright as it usually did and the birds that sang every morning sang a sadder tune. I thought nothing of it and continued on with my daily routine.

I walked over to the river that ran beside my hut and freshened up for the day ahead. A hermit's life was one full of peace and meditation. Not much happened day to day and my primary duty was to teach the children of the nearby village. As I was drying off, I had the sudden urge to meditate because I had a feeling destiny was about to catch up to me, so I chose a quiet spot under a nearby tree. I don’t know how long I sat under that tree but when I felt I had spent enough time, I walked back over to my hut for some breakfast.

As I continued on throughout the morning, I didn’t understand my feelings from earlier but decided not to think anything of it. I checked to make sure I had all my teaching supplies and headed out to the village. When I opened the door, I noticed the sudden shift in the atmosphere. The day had gotten brighter and there was a sweet scent in the air

“Why not take the longer way?” I thought to myself. The longer way wound through the forest and, given the great weather, it would be a shame to not appreciate the beauty of nature. I remember the first time I walked through this forest, the solitude of nature was what convinced me to become a hermit and devote myself to this religious discipline. I was so confident about my path then, and again today, I got the same feeling deep in my soul as I continued to let my feet lead me along the path. The quiet of the forest and the sound of my footsteps were interrupted by sounds of someone sobbing.

“How strange,” I thought. In all the decades I had lived here, I had never known another person to take this way. I assumed I was the only one knew about this path in the forest. I decided to follow the sound, and came across a beautiful woman I had ever met. As a hermit, I had given up all fleshly desires but even gods would recognize this woman as gorgeous. She quickly looked up in fear when she heard me walking towards her.

When she straightened and moved her arms away, I noticed she was pregnant. From the look of it, I guessed she was due any day, but why was she here in the forest then?

“Do not worry. I won’t hurt you. I’m a hermit that lives down the river,” I said.

“I’m sorry to bother you, sir. I was abandoned here by my husband who thinks I have been unfaithful to him. I have never been with anyone else, but he wouldn’t believe me. Now I’m left here with no one to help me or the sons in my womb,” she said with great sadness in her voice.

I reassured her that I would be able to help. I gently helped her stand and supported her arm as we walked to the village. I knew this was the day I met destiny and my purpose. I was to help this woman and her sons.



Author's Note: When Rama and Sita come back to their kingdom, they are able to resume their lives. However, although Rama was convinced of Sita's purity, the rest of the kingdom was not. So in his kingly duty of putting his kingdom first, he banished his beloved and pregnant wife into the forest. When she was left there for dead, some holy men found her and helped her through her pregnancy. One hermit in particular stood by the single mother and her twin boys. He taught the boys how to be great men and showed them how to sing praises to Rama.
I always thought this part of Rama and Sita's story was so sad. Since this is my third time experiencing this story, I noticed little details I had missed before. One of the big things that caught my attention was the hermit that helped her. I started to think hwo great it was that he just so happened to be there to help her. It was as if he was meant to be there for her. I wanted to follow through with that idea. I imagine the hours leading up to the moment he saw her was just another day to a normal person, but I think he knew he was about to do something great.

Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blues

7 comments:

  1. I really connect with your paragraph about meditating under the tree! I'm working on my storybook right now and I just wrote about that exact action. The statement, "I had a feeling destiny was about to catch up to me." is wonderful! It's exciting, inviting, and also absolutely terrifying? That made then reflect on karma.

    I noticed one tiny error: I assumed I was the only one knew about this path in the forest. I decided to follow the sound, and came across a (==> the most?) beautiful woman I had ever met.

    Following that, I really enjoyed how you drew notice to how yes, while the man is religiously devout hermit, he is still human and can recognize the power of beauty. Especially considering how Sita is commonly known for the way she looks! I would love to read more stories of the Hermit through your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this story! I hadn't ever really thought much about the hermit that helped Sita out, but it was really nice to hear things from his point of view especially the part before he even meets Sita! I wouldn't have thought that would be interesting but it was very cool hearing him talk about his destiny and how he feels like something is going to happen! I wish I had feelings about my destiny haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was great transition, and the story was broken up into paragraphs. The length was not too long, and the details kept the story interesting. I like that it was recognizable, yet had your own taste to it. Reading the story, I could imagine exactly what happened in the story. The author’s note also showed what details were the same and which weren’t. There were not any grammatical errors that I found which made this a great and easy read. Keep up the good work, and hopefully get to read more stories from your blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to hear the perspective of someone about whom we usually don't read much. We certainly don't get as in-depth a perspective of his thoughts. I always thought this part of the Ramayana to be strange. Even though Rama exiled his faithful wife, the hermit teaches Rama's sons to sing his praises. It would be interesting to hear more of the hermit's thought process when raising Rama's sons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the unique perspective in this story. I am an avid reader so it was incredibly interesting to me. I really like how there were smooth transitions as well as the way the story was written with the details. I really think that it was a great story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this unique twist on the story! I think it was cute and kept the reader interested because who doesn't want to know what a hermit crab is doing all day? I liked how it almost seemed like a children's version, which I have been focusing on, and I really liked that! Good job! I hope you keep writing and use your creativity often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite part of this story would have to be the fact that it isn't until the very end of it that we learn who the hermit actually is or why he is important. Not only important, but I feel that since I am reading this in the last weeks of class it is almost nostalgic with Sita returning. I also love how you retold the story from the original. As usual, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete